Types of braces
Thanks to today’s advances in orthodontic technology, at Sunshine Orthodontics in New Paltz, New York we can provide our patients with more options than ever before when it comes to wearing braces.
While regular metal braces are still widely used, invisible and clear braces are becoming increasingly popular along with removable appliances that can be used for mild cases of misaligned teeth.
Traditional metal braces
Traditional metal braces are the most common type of braces and are smaller and more comfortable than previous models. Made of high-grade stainless steel, metal braces straighten your teeth using metal brackets and archwires.
The stainless-steel brackets are bonded to the front of your teeth. Each bracket has edges, or wings, to which metal or elastic bands can be tied, and you have the option of adding colored elastics (rubber bands) for a more unique and colorful smile. These elastic bands hold the orthodontic wire in place. The brackets are also available in different shapes and sizes (depending on the manufacturer).
Advantages of traditional metal braces
- They won’t stain or chip
- They’re a cost-effective option for kids, teens and adults
- They have unique style! At each appointment, we fit new elastics around metal brackets that hold the wire in. The possibilities of color combinations are endless, which makes getting treatment more fun for kids!
Things to consider
Traditional metal braces are still one of the most effective methods of straightening your teeth, but there are a few things to consider:
- The metal brackets and archwires can irritate your gums and cheeks when the braces are first fitted to your teeth.
- The brackets and archwires are noticeable when you talk, laugh, eat and smile.
- You need to be careful about what you eat, especially things that can stick to the braces (such as caramel or gum). You also have to avoid eating hard foods, which can move or dislodge the brackets.
Book your free orthodontic consultation
Find out more about the different types of braces we offer here at Sunshine Orthodontics and what it takes to achieve a bright and beautiful smile. Book your free consultation with our team today.